1. About
  2. Features
  3. Explore

I am in my second year of my PhD and am about to get married. I plan to take on my husband's name with my name and not keep my maiden name. But I have two publications already. What can I do so that I can associate my publications even after my surname change. Also, if I keep on publishing with my maiden name and use my husband's surname socially, and also change my surname in passport, won't there be a conflict when I apply for visa to attend conferences due to the two different surnames?

1 Answer 1

The easiest work-around, which completely eliminates ambiguity, is to use the word nee (more strictly née), which means:

originally called; born (used in giving a married woman's maiden name after her surname).

An example (from Google) is: "Mary Toogood, née Johnson".

This will ensure complete consistency, and leaves nothing ambiguous.

Hope that helps. :)