1. About
  2. Features
  3. Explore

I graduated from what is known as a "Hogeschool" in Belgium. When trying to explain this term on English websites, I've always used the term "University College" or "College", However, I'm not sure what terminology to use. Wikipedia doesn't have a Dutch article that's linked from "College", and "Hogeschool" is referred to "HochSchule" or something like that. Google on the other hand just translates "College" as "College" and "Hogeschool" as "University".

However, Hogeschool and University are not the same: University is a step above Hogeschool, and I want to avoid ambiguity with people thinking I graduated from a more prestigious kind of higher education than I actually am.

What is the proper English term for a "Hogeschool"?

1 Answer 1

My answer will assume that it is similar to the German "Fachhochschule" as suggested by @Roland.

I'm not aware of a specific term that already exists in the U.S., that most people would understand. (There might be something in use in the U.K.)

If you need to tell someone what your credentials and academic experience are, you might want to say something like this:

I graduated from a "Hogeschool" in Belgium. This is a technical school, an institution of higher learning that grants a terminal post-secondary college degree in various applied sciences. Graduates typically work in industry after graduation without going on to pursue a Master's or a PhD, as might be the case with university studies. It's roughly equivalent to a non-Honors (four-year) Bachelor's degree in the U.S. There is less student choice in course selection, and it features more of a hands-on approach, building on-the-job experience through co-op education.

If you want a shorter, more informal version:

I have a Bachelor's from a technical college or Hogeschool, in Belgium. It's still considered "higher education," but it's less high-fallutin than a university.

Please feel free to adjust anything I didn't get quite right.