I have offers for tenure-track computational biology positions at a couple of U.S. research universities. What sort of things do I need to budget for in my startup package?
I'll hopefully be in your position in another year or two, so I'm not speaking from experience. But a few things come to mind:
- Laptop (be specific) and associated technical support
- Any software licenses you need to complete your research and teach
- Office space and furniture
- Lab space
- Lab equipment (be specific)
- Access to shared lab equipment as needed (be specific)
- Access to server(s) where you can test your code/algorithms/etc.
- Access to cluster computing resources (if that fits in with your research)
- Lighter teaching load your first 1-3 years
- Lighter service load your first 1-3 years (not sure if that's something you would explicitly ask for though)
- Salary (and benefits where applicable) for any students, staff, post-docs you will need to be successful in getting papers and grants written
- Money for other miscellaneous expenses that you envision will be necessary
- Money to travel to 1-2 conferences per year
I'm sure others could think of more to add...