I have finished all of my manuscript revisions except for some minor details in the figure.
As I understand it, once the manuscript is accepted, a final draft of high resolution figures will be requested. In the past, I have also had requests to relabel and rearrange subplots.
Does this mean that I can wait until the final draft figures are requested to make minor tweaks, like aligning and sizing fonts and graphical elements? The content will be the same, but I still want to finalize elements such as the font sizes, line widths, title placement and legends.
In the interest of speeding up the process, is it acceptable for to submit revisions with the figures still in draft form?
I think this will depend highly from the publisher himself, but any problem will probably result in delay before publication.
If the publisher sees for the first time at the final draft slightly new figures, he might still ask for a few modifications. As such, I prefer to do before the next revision as much as possible to make sure that the publisher is happy and everything is done as soon as possible.