1. About
  2. Features
  3. Explore

Let's assume that I've contacted professors in the United States and referred to them appropriately as "Dr. Smith" or "Professor Smith" based on their having attained a Ph.D.

If they respond to me informally, should I continue to address them formally? If so, for how long?

1 Answer 1

I may be unaccustomed with the customs at US universities, but if someone addresses me "informally", i.e. with my first name or "Hey", (that was the point of the question, right?) I will do the same.

Who expects anything else should quit university and become a high school teacher.